Tuesday, April 18, 2006

janes addiction anyone?

So I'm sittin' here at work listening to launchcast on my computer. Usually I listen to my own station but today I have been listening to "80s Alternative" All the best music so far has been stuff from 1984-1988. I know lots of folks like to make fun of the 80s music (and there was, like now, lots of crap) but overall these were the Golden years for music in my opinion. The Cure's "Standing on a Beach", All of R.E.M.'s music, Jane's Addiction, Eurythmics, Love & Rockets, I can't even begin to name them all. Butthole Surfers, Dead Kennedy's, there's two more. It was all so good.

It was all on the radio station at K-State; KSDB was a breath of fresh air after the stifling top-40 junk like REO Speedwagon and Journey. Even now I have a hard time listening to any radio station other than a college station. Fortunately, the station at MU is run a lot like KSDB used to be. It even has the same frequency that KSDB did. I don't know the djs or most of the songs they play but I do know they don't play any friggin' commercials. Can't stand the stuff. Once in a while I flip up the dial to KBXR to see what they are playing but usually it's a commercial so I hit the down dial as quick as I can.

But I digress...those years were great ones for music and for me. What a coincidence that these same years were also my under-grad days.

4 comments:

S. Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
S. Smith said...

I totally hear you about KCOU, also. I can't imagine Columbia without it.

S. Smith said...

Ok, I just removed that first comment. I think my mind is beginning to implode. Anyway, I need a vacation or something.

S. Smith said...

I think I'll do Hearnes Hill repeats after work.