Monday, November 28, 2005

did it anyway

(see yesterday's post)

After all the hemming and hawing I did regarding the race yesterday, I actually did go to St. Louis. Bridget was ok with it and things were all right at home. I went with Ethan and co. which was fun. It wasn't the same as having Sam and Nora there but a day out with the Guys is nice once in a while.

The race was pretty good. The course was short, fast and hard. All the usual suspects were there and I did my usual fair to middlin': ended up fourth after 2 wipeouts. But. I was first going into the first corner and attacked and led for a bit later in the race, just before my first wipeout. Got a sore shoulder this morning. Like I pulled the muscle under my left clavicle or something.

Although I heard complaints that the course was designed to "trash our bikes" I am not sure what that's about. There were a couple of tricky corners and some muddy sections but not sloppy, only slick. I wiped out in both places. It's not like I am an expert mountain biker but compared to racing a mountain bike these courses are a breeze. The racing is harder 'n hell but the courses are great. Riding on a lawn with a few roots? Where's the trouble in that? The only way it could get easier is if the races were on a golf course fairway.

Next year my riding will be centered around 'cross. I wish I had discovered it earlier.

No comments: