Tuesday, June 12, 2007

of sheep






My entire family(3 brothers, their wives and children as well as my parents) all got together this weekend outside of Columbia. Friends of ours who live on a small farm went out of town so we took over for them and took care of their animals and garden in return for a place to stay. The weekend didn't start out terribly auspiciously and my career in livestock seemed blighted as I killed two chickens in the first day. I know it sounds terrible and it was. Evidently I didn't know how to operate the water dispenser correctly and on the hottest day of the year the "Meat" chickens (as opposed to the "Layers") ran out of water and two died from dehydration. After having my burying them (Sam and Nora dug the hole) I got a fresh start and didn't kill any more animals. Saturday night as I was closing up the barn, I looked into one of the stalls and saw a sheep and what I thought at first was a chicken. Turns out it was a newborn lamb, the speckled one in the picture above. I started hyperventilating and calling for my wife and as I did so I realized there was another even newer born lamb. Jesus! this wasn't supposed to happen for a nother couple of weeks. WIth the aid of my brothers, we spent the next four hours watching them, wiping them, sanitizing their umbilical cords, and trying to get the lambs to nurse. They didn't seem to know what to do. Or rather they knew what to do but for whatever reason couldn't. I called several veterinarians and finally was able to get a hold of one. True to James Herriot, when I called the vet it was near midnight on Saturday. Isn't that when all the calls in All Creatures Great and Small occured? The vet said that we could wait until morning and see how they were doing then. If they hadn't started nursing within 18 hours of birth then we would need to intervene. He asked if I could stick a tube down the lambs' throats. I wasn't sure about that and hoped it wouldn't come to that. I slept for a few hours then got up and checked on the lambs. Thank god they were still alive and even better were nursing and seemed to be doing well.

I think I could really get into the livestock thing.

Nora discovered fishing this weekend and after catching three fish now wants start fishing regularly. Sam enjoyed the fishing and swimming as well.

Sam started his new job at Shakes yesterday. He even made some tips while busing tables. I hope he enjoys the work and it is a good experience for him. And I hope he makes a wad a dough so he can pay for his trip to Europe next summer.

No comments: