Thursday, December 08, 2005

geezus?

Update 12/13/2005: several people responded to Mr. Mull in a much better fashion than I could ever hope.
See:
Instead of tall tales, writer could spread holiday joy

‘Bah, humbug!’ to those who are upset by diversity
and
Christmas not at risk from religious diversity: 'Happy holidays' greeting simply good manners

I swear I didn't make this up!
OPEN COLUMN

Editor, the Tribune: My neighbor and I were discussing the upcoming holiday, and my neighbor gave me some advice. He told me I needed to curb my enthusiasm about Christmas. He noted that last Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I would say "Merry Christmas" to all the folks I met. He felt this could get me in serious legal problems.

His concern was that I might say this to an atheist, Muslim or Jew*. I questioned him as to how this could cause a legal problem. He felt this could cause mental anguish and low self-esteem. He said the government was being sued because the money in their pockets had "In God We Trust" written on it. He said a "Merry Christmas" right to their face is much worse than something you have to look for on your money.

So, I have a question for the Anti-Christian Legal Union, or ACLU. Am I in danger of being sued for saying "Merry Christmas" to a nonbeliever?

Dick Mull
704 New Market Place
[Columbia, Missouri]

*He forgot the Pastafarians!

And, further, it's more likely that you'll get broadsided for not saying "Merry Christmas". If you follow the link note the inflammatory language, "small minority who oppose Christmas."

Oppose? Who the hell opposes Christmas?

In a related story, Jerry Falwell is up to his usual tricks as well.
"Jerry Falwell has put the power of his 24,000-member congregation behind the "Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign," an effort led by the conservative legal organization Liberty Counsel. The group promises to file suit against anyone who spreads what it sees as misinformation about how Christmas can be celebrated in schools and public spaces."

No comments: