Thursday, December 15, 2005

low bone density in cyclists

Lately I had read of some studies (another one, and another one) which point to excessive bone density loss in highly trained male cyclists; middle-aged male cyclists with bones more typical of an elderly woman than a fit young(ish) man. So, after talking my doctor into it, I had my bone density tested last week and got the results back the other day.

Not good.

My diagnosis was osteopenia, or The First Step to Osteoporosis. While my doctor still seemed unconcerned, it concerned me! See the chart? I have "T-scores" varying between -1.1 to -2.3 depending on where it was taken. Osteoporosis is defined as a T-score of -2.5 or less. Of course my results stated that my "fracture risk is moderately increased."

All you cyclists, male and female, get your bones tested. Even if you are young. Do it now so you can take steps to assure that you avoid any problems in the future. You will also know how much better or worse your bones are in the future.

The Mayo Clinic has a good summary of the bone density testing procedure and the results.