Tuesday, December 06, 2005

season is over?

Not MeI raced Sunday. Missouri State Championships. In Kansas. In the Cold. In the Wind.

I had a good race which means I don't think I could have gone any harder. The start wasn't the best. I am not sure how the call-ups to the line were decided but if I heard right the guys on the line were all from Kansas. The rest of us were left to jostle for position behind the "elite" 8 who had the front. I started at the back of the pack and didn't get the greatest start. I was able work my way around toward the front by the time we left the pavement. The way the leaders were flying, I don't believe that I could have stuck with them anyway but I held my own except when Matt Speer of Ozark Cycling came roaring by (he must have had a really bad start position). At one point there were three of us battling it out for 5th place. Then Matt hammered away from us and it became a battle for 6th between me and Jason Knight (I think) from Lawrence. And it was a tough battle. We swapped places several times before I was finally able to stay away.

Did I mention it was cold? 18F when I got up and I am sure it must have been less than 25 at race time. I opted for gloves rather than my "clumsy" mittens but through the first half of the race I felt as if I was trying to shift with a short stubby stick cuz my fingers were just a bit cold. Strangely, by the time the race ended my fingers were fine, that never happens to me. My feet were frozen but my fingers...fine.

Now...I have to talk my wife into going to KC for the Grote Prijs Shawnee Cyclocross.

No comments: